After the last recipe I thought we would get a little more indulgent, so, here is the creamy and delicious Vegan Carbonara, or what I call, Spaghetti Veganara!
Energy: 754Kcal, Fat: 39.5g, Carbs: 78.7g, Protein: 26.2g (per portion)
Tenderstem broccoli, 5 stems.
Chestnut mushrooms, 100g. (Shitake are also popular)
Garlic, 1 large clove.
Oat milk, 100ml. (This depends on thickness, and other milk can be used)
Coconut oil, 1 tbsp.
Soy Cheese spread smoked, 1.5tsp. (if you’d like it ‘cheesier’ this can help the mature flavour)
- I use a standard sized protein shaker and hand blender for this as it creates less mess, however, a food processor, blender or a bowl and towel will also work fine. Add all but a few of the cashew nuts and milk into a bowl and blend until a creamy consistency has been achieved. If you would like, add the smoked soy cheese now too.
- Heat a frying pan with a little coconut oil and place the sliced mushrooms in, add paprika and flip after several minutes on each side. Once crispy, remove from the pan and place to one side.
- Acquire a pan with boiling water, or boil your own. Place in the spaghetti following the instructions on the pack (usually ~15mins).
- Add the remaining coconut oil and finely sliced garlic, I fry until browned (some paprika will be left in the pan) which is around 4 minutes.
- Add the tenderstem broccoli in for a few minutes before re-adding the mushrooms.
- Once the pasta is cooked to your liking, remove it with a fork and add to the vegetables. Using a fork here allows a little of the water to be transferred, which is ideal. The starchy water not only adds flavour but helps bind the pasta to the sauce.
- Toss the mixture so the vegetables are evenly distributed, add the sauce (it may need a quick stir or pulse on a blender) and toss again so the sauce coats all the pasta.
- Garnish with a few crumbled cashew nuts, or just black pepper, serve and enjoy! As always, don’t forget to send us your Vegan Carbonara photos on twitter or hashtag on Instagram.