Vegan Shepherds Pie is a perfect dish because everyone loves this classic! Made with fresh vegetables and a Soy protein, it’s even better (for the shepherd and the sheep!) than the real thing! For those of you with a sweet tooth, you can also try it with sweet potato mash, too!
Energy: 591Kcal, Fat: 22.3g, Carbs: 84.1g, Protein: 28.4g (For one hungry person)
Energy: 465Kcal, Fat: 19g, Carbs: 64.8g, Protein: 16.2g (For two, with grated cheese and a side of red cabbage)
- Potatoes, 2 large.
- Carrots, 3, peeled, chopped.
- Mushrooms, 5, sliced.
- Celery, 1 stalk.
- Garlic, 1 cloves.
- Onion, 1 small.
- Almond/Rice Milk, 25ml.
- Coconut oil, 1 tbsp.
- Vegetable stock, 1cup.
- Tomato Puree, 1tbsp.
- A.O.V (Any other Veg! Frozen peas are very popular), (optional)
- Vegan cheese, for the topping. (optional)
- Vegan Worcester Sauce, a few splashes. (optional – can replace with soy sauce)
- Cornflour, (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium pan, add the onion and carrots. Soften them for just under 5 minutes, before adding the celery, mushrooms, and A.O.V.
- Prepare the Worcester sauce and puree, it’s about to go in!
- After a few mins of the celery and mushrooms joining the party, add the sauces and add salt&pepper to taste.
- Mix it all up and add the stock. Do not drink the stock.
- Peel and chop the potatoes, pop them in boiling water and bring to boil.
- Stir the mix occasionally, you should have a very saucy sauce, if your sauce isn’t saucy enough, you can thicken it by adding cornflour, or letting it reduce a little, I would always let reduce to avoid adding the flour.
- The veg will be soft, the sauce flavoursome and the potatoes should be ready to mash, drain them carefully and leave for 30 seconds, occasionally glancing back at the mix.
- Mash the potatoes, I like to add a tiny drop milk here, almond gives a slightly nutty taste, but rice milk is a little thinner.
- Transfer mixture into a baking dish, and preheat the oven to around 150oC. I use a fork to add the mash on top and create a textured layer (this allows the mash to get crispier, although ultimately the level of crispiness is down to you and you should not give in to crispiness related peer pressure from friends or family).
- If you would like to add cheese, do so now, if not forever hold your peace and place on the middle shelf for approx. 20mins.
- Carefully remove and serve! Proceed to tell all your friends and family and post numerous pictures on social media – you can tag us with #theleanvegan or @tommleach on Instagram!